Pentax lifts the wraps on X70 compact
PENTAX U.K. is pleased to announce the launch of the PENTAX X70 digital compact camera. This new bridge camera features a high-magnification optical 24-times zoom lens with a wide-angle to super-telephoto coverage, and sports a highly portable, compact, lightweight body. The X70 is an all-purpose model performing superbly and effortlessly in a wide variety of situations — from casual day-to-day snapshots to travel and sports photography.
1. Versatile optical 24X zoom lens to accommodate a range of subjects
Within its compact, lightweight body, the X70 features a high-magnification optical 24-times zoom lens offering a focal-length coverage between 26mm wide-angle to 624mm super-telephoto (in the 35mm format). Coupled with the Intelligent Zoom function, the X70’s range can be extended to approximately 150 times (for an approximate focal length of 3900mm in the 35mm format) without compromising the optical performance of the zoom lens.
2. Reliable shake-reduction system for sharp, blur-free images
The X70 incorporates an image-sensor-shift-type SR (Shake Reduction) system to ensure sharply focused, blur-free images even under demanding photographic conditions - such as when using a telephoto lens or when shooting a sunset or indoor scene using only incandescent light. By accurately detecting the amount of camera shake using a high-performance gyro sensor, and shifting the CCD image sensor vertically and horizontally at high speed, the X70 offers an outstanding camera-shake compensation, equivalent to approximately three shutter steps.
3. High-speed continuous shooting to capture the decisive moment
The X70 lets the photographer capture the subject continuously at a maximum speed of approximately 11 images per second, and up to 21 images in succession.* Coupled with the Auto-Tracking AF mode that keeps a fast-moving subject in sharp focus at all times, the X70 enables the user to capture once-in-a-lifetime moments, even when the subject is an active child or unpredictable pet.
* When the continuous-shooting mode is selected, the image size is fixed at 5M (2592 x 1944 pixels).
4. High image quality
Thanks to the combination of approximately 12.0 megapixels, a high-performance imaging engine, and the high-quality PENTAX zoom lens, the X70 delivers super-clear, high-quality images without fail. It even allows the photographer to choose the preferred finishing touch — Bright, Natural or Monochrome.
5. Movie shooting in HDTV image quality and with anti-shake protection
The X70 delivers high-quality movie clips, equivalent in image quality to that of high-definition TV (1280 x 720 pixels). It also features the Movie SR mode, ** which effectively minimizes annoying camera shake during movie shooting through the use of exclusive software. As a result, the photographer enjoys high-quality, blur-free movie shooting with minimal effort.
** When the Movie SR mode is selected, the angle of view becomes narrower than normal shooting.
6. Multi-mode exposure system to accommodate different applications
The X70 offers a choice of four exposure modes: Programmed AE, in which the camera automatically selects the optimal combination of aperture and shutter speed for a given subject; and Aperture-Priority AE, Shutter-Priority AE and Metered Manual modes, in which photographers are free to select either or both aperture and shutter speed to express their creative intentions and personal touch.
7. Auto Picture mode for the automatic selection of seven different shooting modes
The X70 features the advanced Auto Picture mode, which automatically selects the most appropriate scene selection for a given subject by detecting the subject’s lighting and other conditions. This user-friendly feature not only makes the right mode choice for the photographer (from Landscape, Portrait, Night Scene, Night Scene Portrait, Flower, Sport and Standard modes), but also features an auto macro mode, which automatically switches the camera’s focus range to macro in close-range applications.
8. Super-fast Face Recognition AF&AE function to capture up to 32 faces in focus in approx. 0.03 seconds
The X70’s Face Recognition AF&AE function comes extremely handy for taking casual snapshots of people. It optimises the focusing and exposure status of the subject — up to 32 faces in a single image — in approximately 0.03 seconds. The X70 also offers other user-friendly functions: a Smile Capture function that automatically releases the shutter the instant it detects the subject’s smile; and a Blinking Detection function that warns the photographer when the subject’s eyes were closed at the time of shutter release.
9. Auto sensitivity control, up to a super-high ISO 6400
The X70 comes equipped with an auto sensitivity control function, which automatically shifts the sensitivity level in relation to the subject’s lighting condition and the lens focal-length setting. This allows the photographer to use a high shutter speed in dimly lit locations, such as night scenes or indoor sports events, to effectively minimise camera shake and subject shake. The auto sensitivity control range can be set between ISO 50 and super-high ISO 6400.
10. Large, easy-to-view 2.7-inch colour LCD monitor
Despite its compact dimensions, the X70 features a large 2.7-inch high-brightness colour LCD monitor with approximately 230,000 dots. Thanks to the AR (Anti-Reflection) coating, sunlight reflections are kept to a minimum for comfortable outdoor viewing.
11. Other features
1) Choice of image format, from proportions of 4:3, 3:2, 16:9 or 1:1
2) Shooting mode palette for easy selection of the most appropriate shooting mode from 20 different options, including a new Baby mode programmed to capture the healthy, lively face of a baby
3) Overexposure compensation function to prevent white-washed highlight areas
4) 1cm Macro mode can be used as close as one centimeter away from a subject for stunning close-up shots
5) Digital Wide function to composite one extra-wide-angle image (equivalent to an image taken with an approx. 20mm lens in 35mm format) from two images
6) World-time clock to display standard time in 75 cities in 28 time zones around the world, for an extra convenience on the road
7) Frame Composite function (with 90 frames stored in the camera) to shoot or compose images with decorative photo frames
8) Approx. 33.6MB built-in memory
9) Red-eye reduction function to correct annoying red-eye in recorded images during playback