One of our favorite apps, The Photographer's Ephemeris, helps you plan outdoor photography shoots, particularly landscape and urban scenes. It is a map-centric sun and moon calculator: see how the light will fall on the land, be it day or night, for any location on earth. This app has now been updated for the iPad UI and has many other fixes. As a photographer this app should definitely be on your radar/device.
TPE's map-based approach means you aren't limited to a predefined list of locations, which often don't include the places many photographers go. Instead, search for any place name on the planet or position the map pin exactly where you want it.
Advanced features including visual sun and moon search, automatic time zone and elevation detection, correction for atmospheric refraction and height above the horizon, ensuring that you have the best possible information for planning your shoot.
You can even determine when the sun or moon will be visible behind nearby hills and mountains.
- Time and direction of sunrise and sunset
- Time and direction of moonrise and moonset
- Phase of the moon and % illumination
- Times of civil, nautical and astronomical twilight
- Graphical display on a map (Map, Satellite and Hybrid views)
- Movable map pins - drag and drop the pin exactly where you need it
- Save any location you want - no fixed lists
- Does not require network connection for rise/set times and azimuths. (Note: maps and elevation do require a data connection)
- Automatic time zone detection for any location on earth
- Determines elevation above sea level
- View azimuth and altitude of sun/moon for any time of day/night
- Distance, bearing and elevation angle between any two points
- Find when the sun/moon will appear from behind a hill
- Visual sun and moon search: find sunrise/set at a specified bearing between two map markers
- Compensation for atmospheric refraction
- Compensation for elevation above the horizon
TPE desktop version has been a favourite of photographers around the world for over a year. Now you can carry it with you.