Pentax today announce the Optio W80 the latest iteration of a long line of waterproof digital compact cameras. Indeed Pentax were one of the first makers to market a compact for challenging environmental conditions, so it comes as little surprise to see features that would you normally associate with unprotected cameras such as a x5 optical zoom and 12-megapixel CCD. Note the wording of HD-proportioned video clips, suggesting a lower resolution. We will post an update when we have the video spec confirmed.
UK Press release:
PENTAX UK is pleased to announce the launch of the PENTAX Optio W80 digital compact camera. The W80 boasts outstanding dustproof (IPX 6 or JIS Class 6) and waterproof (IPX 8 or JIS Class 8) capabilities - for up to two hours underwater at a depth of five metres and can operate in temperatures as cold as -10°C. The new W80 is also shockproof and can withstand a fall from a height of one metre, making it the ideal choice for any outdoor pursuit including holidays and extreme sports.
1. Optical 5X zoom lens for excellent zoom coverage from wide angle to telephoto
Despite its compact dimensions, the Optio W80 features an optical 5X zoom lens covering focal lengths from 5mm to 25mm (equivalent in the 35mm format to approximately 28mm wide angle to 140mm telephoto). Thanks to this wide zoom range, the W80 can be used with a wide variety of subjects and scenes, from spectacular landscape, majestic architecture and group shots to tight snapshots from a distance. Coupled with the Intelligent Zoom function, which allows even tighter zooming in on the subject, the zoom range can be extended to approximately 31.3 times.
2. High-quality HD-proportioned movie recording
The Optio W80 captures beautiful, flawless movie clips at 16:9 high-definition TV proportions at a frame rate of 30 frames per second. It also comes equipped with advanced, user-friendly features designed to facilitate movie recording: Movie SR (Shake Reduction) mode, which automatically compensates camera shake during movie shooting; and Underwater Movie mode, which automatically optimises all camera settings for underwater movie shooting.
3. High image quality
Combining approximately 12.1 effective megapixels with the PENTAX-developed imaging engine and high-performance PENTAX zoom lens, the Optio W80 delivers brilliant, high-quality images with well-defined details. Even when images are increased to larger sizes, the user is assured of sharp, high-resolution prints with edge-to-edge sharpness.
4. Triple anti-shake protection to prevent different types of camera shake
(1) Pixel Track SR mode
When recording still images, the Optio W80’s new Digital SR (Shake Reduction) mode effectively compensates for camera shake by processing affected images.
(2) High-Sensitivity SR mode***
When it detects low-lighting conditions in still-image shooting, the W80 automatically raises its sensitivity to as high as ISO 6400, making it possible to use a higher shutter speed. This effectively minimises the adverse effects of camera shake under poor lighting conditions.
(3) Movie SR mode****
During movie recording, the W80 prevents blurry images by effectively minimising annoying camera shake through the use of exclusive software.
*** When the High-Sensitivity SR mode is selected, the recorded size is fixed to 5M (2592 x 1944 pixels).
**** When the Movie SR mode is selected, the angle of view becomes narrower than in normal shooting.
5. Auto Picture mode for automatic selection of eight different shooting modes
The Optio W80 features the PENTAX-original Auto Picture mode, which automatically selects the most appropriate shooting mode for a given subject or scene by detecting the subject’s lighting and other conditions. This user-friendly feature provides the photographer with Landscape, Portrait, Night Scene, Night Scene Portrait, Flower, Sport, Standard and Candlelight modes, and also features an auto macro mode, which automatically switches the camera’s focus range to macro in close-up applications.
6. Automatic recognition of up to 32 faces in a mere 0.03 seconds
The Optio W80 features the advanced Face Recognition AF & AE function, which automatically detects up to 32 faces in the image field, then optimises their focus and exposure settings in as little as 0.03 seconds. The Optio W80 is also equipped with the Smile Capture mode, which automatically releases the shutter the moment the camera detects the subject’s smile, as well as the Blink Detection function, which warns the photographer when the subject’s eyes close at the time of shutter release.
7. Large LCD monitor for effortless outdoor viewing
The Optio W80 features a large 2.5-inch high-resolution colour LCD monitor (approximately 230,000 dots) which is finished with a special AR (Anti-Reflection) coating that cuts glare from reflections of external light while being bright enough to be viewed easily even in bright sunlight.
8. Other features
1) Macro mode to record dramatic close-up images of a subject from as close as one centimetre
2) Digital Wide function to compose extra-wide-angle images (equivalent to an image taken with an approx. 21mm lens in 35mm format) from two images
3) 20 digital filters, including Toy Camera and Retro, to add distinctive visual effects to recorded images
4) SP (Super Protect) coating applied to the front surface of the zoom lens to repel water, grime and finger marks
5) O-CC932 Protector Jacket (available as an optional accessory) to protect the camera body from scratches and grime
6) AF-assisting spot beam projector (ON/OFF switchable) to assist autofocusing operation in the dark
7) New D-Range setting to prevent whitewashed (overexposed) and blacked-out (underexposed) areas in an image
8) Frame composite function (with 90 frames stored in the camera) to shoot or compose images with decorative photo frames
9) ACDSee for PENTAX 3.0 image viewing, editing and filing software included (compatible with Windows VistaTM)
♦PENTAX and Optio are trademarks of HOYA CORPORATION.
♦All other brands or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
♦This product supports PRINT Image Matching III. PRINT Image Matching enabled digital still cameras, printers and software help photographers to produce images more faithful to their intentions. Some functions are not available on printers that are not PRINT Image Matching III compliant.
Copyright 2001 Seiko Epson Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Print Image Matching is a trademark of Seiko Epson Corporation.
The PRINT Image Matching logo is a trademark of Seiko Epson Corporation.
♦Design and Specifications are subject to change without notice.
PENTAX U.K. Limited was formed in 1979 and is a subsidiary of HOYA CORPORATION. The Imaging Systems Division successfully distributes its products through a number of channels, including independent camera shops and national retailers. The product range is extensive and includes state of the art digital SLR and zoom compact cameras. There is also a superb range of binoculars, suitable for a variety of leisure activities. Today, Pentax is a leading supplier of recreational cameras and photographic equipment world-wide.